Thursday, December 19, 2019

This Morning I Pack. I Head Out. I Take a Break That I Haven't Had in a Year. But First, There Was Yesterday

I don't need today's post to be political, because I believe in courts, laws, due process and fairness for that. I also believe in hard work, so after a quick stop for a haircut, I headed to campus for grading, grant writing, meetings, publications, and a surprise visit from Vilia - my surrogate daughter from Lithuania who simply makes me happy beyond words. We connected last year over Hoops4Hope and I've loved the energy and joy she brings to my office and to our campus. I haven't seen much of her this semester because our schedules have not aligned. She's been busy working in NYC and staying atop of her studies, and I've been swamped with graduate courses and NWP work.

Still, we have text. We touched base there. Yesterday. I loved every second of it, especially when she stopped by.

Vilia sent me a message Tuesday night saying her last exam was in Canisius at 8 a.m. Wednesday and wondered, "Will you be there?" I said, "Hell, no. But I will be there by 2." So, she took her exam and came back by 2 so she could show me she was dressed as a Soul Cycle Ninja. I knew she would make me smile, so I ran to Trader Joe's and got her the chocolate peanut butter cups she loves. Merry Christmas. It was for her drive back to to East Hampton. But her gift to me, her energy and humor, made my last day on campus extra special.

Vilia also told me that she will be in Berlin next semester, so I'll not be able to have her joy stopping by on a weekly basis (boo), or the 'here and there' text needing a big brother in Connecticut. This makes me sad! I love how she has become the filler in the gap between my cousin Mark, my whimsical Brown School days, my love for international travel, and my need for simply being silly.

These three photos say it all! I challenge her to wear that very outfit (with Ugg Boots) to the next H4H benefit next year. She wouldn't dare.

Okay, so this will be the last post from CT for a while, as I returned home to make my mother's birthday cake, delivered treats to all my neighbors and wrapped the last gifts in Mt. Pleasant for the holiday season.

I didn't eat much for dinner, but my mind was on getting several items mailed in the morning before I head on my rt. 17 trek to Syracuse (several texted me today to report the white-out conditions of Syracuse - I'm hoping it will not be that way tomorrow).

Instead, I have to give drugs to my dog, queue a new audio book or two, load the car, and then head to Clay, New York for Cicero Country Pizza and a round of "Happy Birthday for Sudy Rip!" Chitunga was supposed to drop off the birthday gifts to the house, so I'm hoping he accomplished this task.

I can't wait to have a week to unwind with family and to be be joyful in the spirit of the season. I have to applaud Vilia, though, because she came to my office like an angel, bringing me the hope and light for the next few weeks that I've been gravely missing all semester.

I get to return to the roots to wish my first angel a "Happy Birthday" too. Here's to Sudy Rip. I will be seeing you soon.




1 comment:

  1. The fixation of ladies with their hair and its excellence has offered to ascend to the hair salon in
    Manhattan that deal with hair and styles it up. The consideration and tending that one gets at
    this Haircut East Hampton have expanded its notoriety to the degree that in the here and now there are countless hair salons in every city. With Warrentricomi.

    ReplyDelete