Sunday, December 15, 2019

Definitely a Bridgeport Gem - The Cabaret: Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat

We bought the tickets early in the season, and it was the perfect way to welcome the holiday season as grading finds an ending and road trips ensue: Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. I remember having to study this production as a freshman in college, but I don't think I ever sat still long enough to absorb the story line (a storyline I'm still trying to surmise - boy dreams, boy is given coat, boy's many brothers are jealous, brothers have brother sold to slavery, boy is arrested for being sexually attracted to pharaoh's wife, boy is jailed, boy predicts good crops, boy becomes a right hand man, brothers are starving, brothers come looking for food, brothers are fed, brother sold to slavery forgives brothers, and boy gets his rainbow coat back).

The music is good. The Cabaret's cast was phenomenal. The entire productions was joy and wonderful. But I'm left thinking, "This is the story? Okay, I guess I'll take it. It was fun."

Very theatrical on all levels. That is happiness, too. Everyone on stage was having a great time, and that was contagious.

Okay, Sunday. Time to face reality. Grades are due, gifts need to be purchased, and you stupidly got yourself on Rank & Tenure, making your entire holiday break a bust so you can read and review the work of colleagues. I know it is a service that is good and I will learn a lot from it, but on this Sunday morning, thinking about my Saturday, I'm simply exhausted.

I wanted to stay up to see the Louisville game at 11 p.m. last night, but I'm old and I needed sleep. That is the almost-50 life. Sleep matters most.

Congratulations to Joseph, though. He has his coat and that is what it is all about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment