Monday, December 30, 2019

In Memory of Faye Gage, Founder and Director of @CWPFairfield - a @WritingProject Champion in Each and Every Way.


I was a 40-year old when I first came to Fairfield University - when I was contacted by Faye Gage to report she was delighted I was hired to replace her. She was ready to retire. I still hadn't finished by dissertation, but came to co-direct the summer institute with her, following the rhythm and flow of her grant-writing, teaching, course load, and guidance. 

She was passionate. She was fiery. She was brilliant. And she was dedicated. That first summer, Faye Gage arranged for my writing teaching hero, Kelly Gallagher, to come and visit campus as a guest speaker. I called her to ask what  the charge would be and she responded, "Charge? There's no charge for you. You are in charge. You're the Director." I bit my cheek. I guess I was. And I pretended I knew what I was doing, but I'm not sure I did. 

All I knew was that Faye was gracious and the National Writing Project way was my way - the best investment in teacher leaders in the nation. Faye introduced me to the grant officer on campus and quickly shared with me the budgets, which took a hit at the time as states and the nation were defunding educational programs. In order to survive, ingenuity was a must, including the creation of Young Adult Literacy Labs and mountains of paperwork in hopes of receiving grants. At times, we've been lucky. Other times we have not. 

That first summer, I remember that Gina Forberg hosted an end-of-the-summer ISI party on her back porch and true to the form I learned in Louisville, each and every teacher wrote (or sung)(or performed) a reflection that blew my mind. One wrote an entire song, and another a full-length script she performed. Faye and I were united at that moment forever. The transition occurred quickly and the volume of work snuck up fast. She deserved retirement and I kept her away from any and all that was stressful. Her retirement party filled the Dolan School of Business. She was tremendously loved and for a few years, I was able to work with her during Joel Barlow portfolio scoring in February. I always loved the reunions. I learned, however, that she soon began to face the demons that come with age and relied on reports from others as to how she was doing. 

When I returned to Stratford last night, news came from her good friend Del (an incredible partner during the summer for numerous years) that Faye passed on December 27th. I'm deeply saddened by this news. I found the last letter she wrote for CWP-Fairfield and I share it today to cherish her memory, numerous contributions and dedication to the profession. She will be greatly missed. 

Letter from Faye Gage 
As has been said by so many teacher/consultants, the Connecticut Writing Project-Fairfield is a life changing experience in profound ways. Back in 1986, I thought I was a pretty good English teacher – or maybe even very good if a particular class had gone well. I made sure that all of my students read, analyzed and appreciated the great literature that had nurtured my soul for so many years. I counted on those many literary quotations I had incorporated into my repertoire to guide me through many real life situations, some wonderful and some daunting. And I still rely on them. But CWP helped me realize that students who are given tools to access literature can find those gems themselves.  
My experience with CWP taught me that it mattered greatly how the literature was delivered – which required a new understanding of how students learned, a different philosophy of literacy. After much reading, considering, discussing, and a few missteps, I relinquished the sage-on-the-stage role and gradually learned to respect the thinking of even the most inexperienced readers as they began to make their own meaning of texts. The movement from assigning five paragraph essays to writing that explored, considered, chased down ideas changed my understanding of writing and my instructions to my students, a shift that empowered their responses to texts but also showed them how to nurture their thinking. In short, CWP made me a far better teacher.  
Underneath this shift in my teaching, was another less satisfying shift. Twenty five years of administration of this program has left me increasingly uncertain that public education has the wise and generous supporters it so badly needs. I have become more and more outraged over the professed and unprofessed enemies of education. They are legion. They withhold institutional support or provide only minimally; they talk a lot in government babble but barely seek out funds for what should be robustly supported; they too frequently make decisions that are not in the best interests of either teachers or students and they demonize teachers rather than provide funds to nurture and support the best. I have a number of dents from encounters with such folks. 
Rather than expound on this problem, I would prefer to thank the people who have been exceptions: Senator Bob Duff who has been consistently loyal and intelligently informed; Representative Jim Himes, a new, enthusiastic supporter; Dean Susan Franzosa who made CWP integral to the University; and the many public school administrators who have sought our professional development services to improve teaching and learning in their buildings. They, and many others, believe in CWP. Like so many of you, however, the most important change in my life was brought about by the people who make up the membership of CWP. Every Summer Institute introduced me to teachers who are committed to their students, thoughtful about their work, and eager to collaborate with each other. Their participation is the life blood of CWP. They also make the lives of their students richer and promising. Their effect on me was equally life changing. They are a rare group of professionals whose wisdom and support I will carry with me. 
As will the influence of people who took leadership roles in CWP. I cannot name them all, but I know that Del Shortliffe, Lynn Winslow, Bill McCarthy, Bob Wilson, Betsy Bowen, Kathy Brody, Kristin Veneema, Jack Powers, John Chiappetta, Andy Neidick - all people with whom I worked closely - gave me knowledge, inspiration and unyielding support. They have been my professional family whose imprint on my life is deep and secure. 
I will miss being the Director of CWP-Fairfield, but I carry with me twenty five years of experiences that changed and enriched me. I am overwhelmingly grateful for having spent the time with all of you.~Faye 
I know many of us are extremely thankful to the legacy of Faye Gage and the fight she took on to bring CWP-Fairfield to where it was when the reigns were handed over to me. I post these thoughts today in her memory and with tremendous prayer that her incredible wit, mind and strength will watch over us as our battle for excellence continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment