Tuesday, December 17, 2019

That Point of the Semester When The Countdown of Projects & Papers Begin and You Know It's Gotta Get Done

Like all in the profession, this is the week of absolute exhaustion. From a.m. alarms to late night attempts to get more done, it is nothing but grading, grading and grading. From the time assignments come in, to the deadline for submitting grades, there is usually only 48 hours. That, and you know that as soon as the materials are returned, you are emancipated to move onto other items.

Like holiday shopping. Like traveling to Syracuse to be with family. Like reading books. Like watching a few shows without the guilt. Like running more and walking Glamis.

The truth is, too, that as soon as it is all over, you simply want to go to bed for a few months. I am remembering the portfolio-scoring days of Kentucky, too, that were followed by senior research and projects. It seemed that there was never an end to all that reading and scoring. By the end of it all, you simply want to dig out your eyes and be buried alive - just end it already

Well, I'm almost there.

The University called for morning cancellations (AGAIN) due to inclement weather, so I've been graced with a day at home to finish more and more grading. I'm getting there. But there's only so much that can be completed in a day.

Meanwhile, I'm still wondering how so many educators from my days earning Masters and a doctorate still haven't returned a single item to me. I got grades (usually really good), but zero feedback.

That is not how I roll. I spend time giving feedback because I think it is most important.

As is sleep. I need more sleep. And I will get it...eventually. It's that time of the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment