Saturday, December 7, 2019

It's the Small Things In Life...Like Having Leg Room on a 2.5 Hour Trip Home. That Rarely Happens

I was given a seat in the front row coming home from Tampa on Spirit Airlines. I've only flown them one other time, and I had my knees in my chest, because they crunch so many people in their vessels. This time, however, I had lots of space for my legs and I was very thankful. So thankful, because I actually was comfortable enough that I fell asleep and it was the fastest flight of my life.

Space is good for long-legged fellows.

Meanwhile, I cursed myself, because I said, "Wow, the drive home from Hartford is smooth sailing." There was little traffic. Of course, after I got through the tunnel in New Haven, an Enterprise truck stalled and blocked the right lane, causing for a crawl all the way to Stratford. Ah, Connecticut life.

I started thinking, especially as I looked at the wide-open, domed sky above the parking lot on the Merritt, that vehicular travel is outdated and ancient. There's all this space above us, so we shouldn't have to sit for hours, when we could rise up and fly over such mishaps. I've got my Jetson-phone capabilities (FaceTime), and now I want my mini-space car to go forwards and backwards, and up and down. It's time. Highway driving is too archaic.

I am thankful to be home, however, and to focus on closing out the semester at Fairfield University. My graduate students deserve all my attention and I will give it to them.

Breathe in. Breathe out.

Here we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment