Friday, May 31, 2019

Two Views. One Day. TGIF (Even with a Holiday Monday). Ramping Up For Summer Programs is Exhausting

I've always wanted to script and craft the superhero story of Frog. It will get done one day, and there are numerous chapters needing to be written and explored. In the meantime, I gravitate towards the classics and am super excited by the Penguin Random House / Marvel partnership that worked with Matt de la Peña for the creation of Superman: Dawnbreaker. It will be a staple this summer and we build a Hope Nation (ed. Rose Brock) with our teachers.

That is why when I arrived to work yesterday, without my Frog-cape, I was drawn to an envelope in my English Dept. box, followed by the words of Linda Miller, the faculty administrator who keeps everything in place for that department, "GET THESE BOXES OUT OF MY SPACE!"

My book orders arrived - 150 copies of Hope Nation and 100 copies of Superman: Dawnbreaker. These books will be used throughout the summer and then donated to local schools so they have classroom sets. I didn't expect this as the charges haven't hit my credit card yet. Ah, but they are in, they are unpacked, and the excitement is really growing.

I returned home, however, to the dog-in-the-window who seemed to be wondering, "Where the @#$#$ have you been?" I stayed late in my Donnarumma Ding Dong office to get things organized for the arrival of June. We're getting there...one checklist item at a time, and it feels good. I keep telling Glamis that Chitunga is coming and Abu is coming, so she's more anxious than usual with her window surveillance. I don't have the heart to tell her, "Not yet."

Ah, but back to my book cart. Not shown here are the copies of A Good Fit For All; Collaborating to Teach Writing in Diverse, Inclusive Settings. I can't wait to work with 20 teachers, 200 kids and all the teacher leaders who continue to return each summer as we celebrate all the new possibilities of collaboration, partnership, sharing, lesson planning and best practices in writing instruction. Frog is ready to croak, but he's inspired whenever things come together as they should 

No comments:

Post a Comment