Thursday, May 16, 2019

Proud to Work with Bridgeport MAAC Seniors with a College Readiness Program and Thrilled to Celebrate GSEAP Graduates and Awardees

Ever since I've arrived to Fairfield University I've worked with the Bridgeport Public Education Fund and their annual spring conference for graduating seniors who have benefited from their guidance, mentorship, service, and academic support. Yesterday, they hosted 72 seniors at Housatonic Community College and I did a post-lunch keynote on college writing and the power of telling their stories. They were a wonderful group of kids, but I wanted to shout out to Faith Villega, who has taken the helm of the program after Margie Hiller's retirement. It was remarkable.

In the evening, I had the privilege of attending the Graduate School of Education and Allied Professions Graduate Recognition, where I was able to introduce Elisabeth Muller as one of the graduate awardees in Educational Studies and Teacher Preparation. It was a full house, and wonderful to see so many of my colleagues, my Dean and Associate Dean, as well at members of our Board there to applaud the huge accomplishments of our graduates.

I didn't realize it until I made it to the second event that I never got around to tying my tie correctly.

Seriously, at this time of year, the events are all day and plentiful. I am counting my blessings that I'm not a Provost, as she has been going from event to event to event lending her voice, leadership and congratulations .

Tis the season of graduation applause, and although Chitunga is graduating Summa Cum Laude from LeMoyne, but has chosen not to walk (because he's already begun his graduate program), he is #1 on my mind and what I'm most proud of this spring.

Happy Thursday. Here's to all the students who have achieved so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment