Thursday, May 23, 2019

Retreat Day for the Department. Not Necessarily My Dream Escape, But a Retreat Nonetheless

An Adirondack chair. A dock. Water and Sunshine. Maybe even a fishing pole. This is my idea of a retreat and respite from the daily grind and what I can conjure up in my head for  a potential break from the chaos.

That, however, is not the way of a faculty retreat; rather, it is a room with lots of papers and brainstorming of more work still needing to be done. This morning, we will retreat to discuss standards and objectives as necessary for a CAEP report for our teacher education program, and yesterday, all of us prepared our part so we can have a say in the meeting.

I've been spoiled in that I can get up and run, walk the dog, and then start the day. Now, however, I have to give this up for bagels, pasta and mental concentration. Most of us will retreat in our heads frustrated at additional work we know needs to get done.

I will keep this image in my head throughout the day to keep myself calm and focused.

One more interview for the summer Invitational, and a day of working with northeast network of writing projects for a conference next Spring. Check and check. I'm getting there.

But first, I need to take a day away from CWP demands to work on department ones, as next year will  require much from us all (it always does).

Still waters. Worms. Silence. A fishing pole. That is what will be on my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment