Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Bee-Cause, I Still Have Naturalist Tendencies I Need To Put an Action Plan Into Place This Summer

As the Carpenter Bees moved in over the last few years, I realized I needed to do something, so I hired Fox to spray their holes high on Mt. Pleasant to reach the areas I couldn't. Yesterday morning, before the deluge of rain, I walked outside and saw that it worked, as there were Carpenter Bees all over my driveway and sidewalk. They have been deterred from burrowing in my house, chewing the wood and spitting on my siding and onto the ground.

There should be a memorial. There were a lot of bees, and I'm feeling somewhat chagrined. I like to live hand-to-hand with the natural world, but when it becomes abundant, there needed to be action.

I acted and now I feel bad.

I am therefore vowing to plant a few more bee balm plants to offer nectar to such creatures, even though I don't want them building their homes in my house. I am also thinking I will offer donations to those who have bee farms and have no problem with raising them for the good of the globe's ecosystem. I understand their worth and contribution. Yet, when they take over a house, they should be pushed to go elsewhere (cough cough), even if it is to Carpenter Bee heaven (looked like that scene in the Star Wars movies when all the baby Jedis were slaughtered)

I've grown tolerant of the house sparrows who insist on nesting in the high eves of my house, and I hoped they might feed on the carpenter bees, but they didn't. In fact, I think they battled one another for territory.

I am feeling somewhat accomplished that the rodent/insect/pest people won, but bad that their demise was the inevitable result. I don't think I would have minded if there were a couple, but there was a funeral of several dozen all around my house. Whatever they sprayed worked and I'm wondering if they will plot (perhaps with Mary Elisabeth) a revenge in my imagination and dreams.

Nature is wonderful and I love it all - but when they do massive damage to a house, then my tolerance is not as strong. They're such beautiful creatures out in the rest of the world, but not so much in my home. I will do my part to balance out their loss.

I know how important bees are...and love them...just not inside my walls creating empires for the next generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment