Friday, May 24, 2019

Honored to Be Part of an Evening for Non-Profit Organizations Serving Communities in Connecticut

I am waking up enthused, reenergized, and excited about the possibilities of the work we do in Connecticut in celebration and advocacy of the communities we work with, love, learn from and serve. Last night, I met with a gathering of individuals doing good great work for so many individuals, families, schools and organizations in the nutmeg state. The evening was simple. Come to talk. Come to network. Share your story. Learn.

Last night, at Hub & Spoke, in Blackrock, there was a meeting of the minds to discuss the work being done all throughout southern Connecticut. I was invited to represent the work of the Connecticut Writing Project, especially the advocacy work of Ubuntu Academy and the leadership opportunities given to Bridgeport students. I was thrilled to see my colleague, Melissa Quann, with me as she advocated for the tremendous work of Fairfield University in service-learning courses and community partnerships, and Jessica Baldizon who teaches in Ubuntu Academy, but also started Hope Club, an after school program for students at Bassick High School and English language learners at Cesar Batalla.

It's magical.

In a profit-, ego-, and self-world, it was a great experience to be surrounded by so many people interested in the rich diversity of communities, social equity, opportunities, and high standards for all. I was in awe of the great work of so many and inspired to think creatively for work in the future.

It is not new news that I live in a state with some of the largest socio-economic divides in the nation. Last night, I felt like a consortium of like-minded people were brought together to talk about projects, programs and opportunities that are working.

Community matters. An individual can only be a successful individual in a community of others that support them. I love / to believe / in hope (thanks Brendan Kennelly) and every person I talked with last night is someone providing hope in a complicated world.

Kudos to the organizers. One of the better evenings I spent this semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment