Sunday, May 5, 2019

Mary Elisabeth Got To Experience Her First Mt. Pleasant Derby Festival Without Incident

It's always amazing to see how parties go. I remember my parents throwing them as a kid (not Derby, per se), but a gathering of their friends. Funny to know that I'm in that location in my life. The mint juleps were a hit, as were the teriyaki steak tips, roasted vegetables and cooperative weather that we had.

And Crandall(s) (as Ish calls me, Dave and Kris's youngest), made it through the day of cooking, entertaining, and losing yet another horse race. Pam won, but the disqualification too away her cash prize. It ended up in the palms of Julie Roneson and her 65:1 odds (fist in the air: Julie Roneson!) All day-entertainment for two-minutes of horses running in mud. Easier to watch on a television than to watch from the infield, I'm sure.

The highlight for me? Kaitlyn made a Derby pie cookies with chocolate and pecans that were out of this world - thanks for the three sticks of butter in that recipe. My cholesterol is at its highest.

Alas, Sunday is here. Time to grade, organize, think ahead and plan: two awards-ceremonies, all day work in Greenwich with 8th graders, a National Writing Project online conference presentation, and PD at the Columbus School. In between, I will get the graduate student projects graded.

We got this, and I have plenty of leftovers for the week. Stop by and I will reheat some for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment