Friday, May 3, 2019

Good Luck, Kentucky Folks. Have a Great Weekend of Horse-Racing, Bourbon and Big O' Hats.

Yesterday, I saw the annual posting of the Ky Derby parade floats created by Brown School elementary students being pulled through the halls of 1st and Muhammad Ali - a tradition I miss with all my might.

I know that KY schools let out early so people can attend the annual parade and prepare for the festivals and shenanigans that are central to Louisville life. The Oaks used to be a local event, affordable and a place for all to enjoy the track. That, however, skyrocketed in cost almost becoming what the Derby once was. The Derby...forget about it...even the infield takes some economical investment.

The tradition, however, is on my mind as I'm in grading marathons and interviewing for the summer institute. I can't even rap my head around taking a day or two off to be part of the horn blowing, mini-marathons, balloon races and, of course, horses. Still, I channel it in spirit and always open my home on the first Saturday of May for the race. In fact, I have my mint and sugar water cooling as we speak and stocked up on bourbon.

No, academics are in a different race right now, trying to close out a semester and be on top of the game to meet grading deadlines. I'm getting there - but didn't want today's post to be whiny.

Instead, I'm channeling the threat of tornados, the inevitable weather wondering, the star-struck celebrity gawking, and the crazy infield on my mind.

So, here's to the Kentucky Derbying of the weekend. I will do what I can, with those who are willing to do it with me.

In the meantime, my radar is on my pillow: sleep, sleep, and sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment