Friday, May 10, 2019

Day 4 - National Teacher Appreciation Week. Bridgeport Higher Education Alliance Awards @FairfieldU

Last night, year 3, I had the honor of hosting the Bridgeport Higher Education Alliance Annual awards for Excellence in Education with my co-host, Akbaru Niyonkuru. I am in reflective mode, because I remember the initial idea presented at an Executive Board meeting and I am thrilled to see where the ceremonies have gone, a collaboration between Fairfield University, Sacred Heart University, University of Bridgeport, and Housatonic Community College.

It is a night to recognize outstanding teachers, staff, administrators, young people and parents/guardians who excel at their individual schools and who go beyond the call of duty to accomplish school-wide visions, especially in the support of student achievement.

As the awardees are named, I'm in awe of the applause, happiness, and thrilled enthusiasm for the winners (and we're talking about a crowd of 400 - 500 people).

Last night was an absolute thrill, and I was more than happy to see my right hand man, William King, an ESL teacher at Bassick High School, receiving the Mentoring Award from his school. Shoot, this guy mentors me, too! He is a champion for all kids, especially those who are English language learners and finding their way into the the United States in their first years. I don't mean to be biased, but I have extra finger snaps for William King: teacher, friend, Ubuntu Academy extraordinaire, Writing Project enthusiast, and passionate teacher.

I felt like things went full circle last night, as William King is a graduate from Fairfield University.

With this noted, I also want to applaud the staff, parents, guardians and other educators who were applauded last night. Also, the kids. They were amazing.

This made me reflect on today's date, when I lost a huge champion of the Connecticut Writing Project who was in my corner and worked tirelessly in support of the literacy work that we do. Lois Minto was my 2nd half at the Connecticut Writing Project and she passed way too soon. This morning is the anniversary of that loss and I am thinking of her as I always do on this day (and everyday). I can attest that an individual like me cannot do anything without the support of a wonderful, incredible, and hardworking side-kick. Lois was also a tremendous friend - I miss her every day (and talk to her often).

Here's too Lois. Here's to William. Here's to all the winners from last night's program. I am waking up this morning more motivated than ever to do what is right in this world.

It's TGIF. But it's also a nod to those who have the biggest impact on our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment