Wednesday, November 6, 2019

When Paying Bills, It Always Becomes More Poignant When You Can Splash Musical Influence on an Envelope


I come late to most ball games, and as a result. I didn't discover Marvin Gaye's music until I was a a teacher in Louisville, Kentucky and began to think about history, culture, musical influences, and the beauty of the students I was fortunate to choose. Perhaps that is why I was excited to learn the Post Office had his image on a stamp, especially one I could use on the very specific bills that I was paying yesterday (let's just say late fees for parking in a bike lane in the Hamptons). I put it aside and forgot about it, but do remember laughing to the fellow who treated Chitunga and I to lunch, "Oh, let me get the parking."

Oif. I sure did. 

Today is humpday and I look for anything I can to give me rhythm in my stride and hope for the work I aim to accomplish. In the ol' IPod music of my head, I'm channeling Marvin Gaye's stamps and music in the attempt to keep me going and focused in the day ahead.

Wake up. Write. Run. Walk the dog. Meetings. Meetings. Meetings. Planning. Teaching. Then coming home to bed, only to repeat it again. 

Would rather have Marvin Gaye with us than on a stamp, but I'll take inspiration wherever it is.



No comments:

Post a Comment