Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Slid Into a 10 p.m. Dinner Last Night, Just In Time to Check the Mail and Get Sleep Before @ncte @writingproject 2019

It's all good. I worked on lesson plans while watching This Is Us, and I was able to get a birthday package to my son so it will be with him next Monday before I left. Thank you, Fed Ex. Thank you, I-Calendar for helping me to pace my world, knowing that he'll be home for Turkey next Thursday, but not for his birthday. As long as the oatmeal cookies arrive on time.

Glamis, missing her friend Scout from the weekend, has tore into her new squeaky toy, just after I finished vacuuming, so there is stuffing everywhere. I cleaned for my house/dog-sitters, Abonga and Omar, who have been reliable buddies for 5 years now, and I cooked my Crandall special so they'll be set (although, I didn't have time to cook rice).

As I settled to turn out the lights, an undergraduate senior called me - a kid I had as a sophomore - simply seeking advice about the direction to take. He wants to teach. He's called to teach. He has pressure, however, from home and friends to follow other paths. It's the shunning of the profession and all of us who have ever chosen the teaching career knows it well. He said, "I don't know. Talking to you energizes me and makes me hopeful. I want to live a good life...one with purpose."

I simply said, "I think you've found your purpose. Why not deny it?"

But I get the doubt. I still doubt what I do.

But then I go through the mail and get the alumni magazine from Syracuse University where there there's a story about Ubuntu Academy, and one about Rhiannon Berry (who I supervised) and her holocaust work, the new publication by Dr. Kelly Chandler Olcott and a story about Tyrone Shaw, a kid I only knew as a work study while I was in their School of Education. All these wonderful stories are connected and it's all through learning, hope, human connections, a love for knowledge, and teaching. This makes me extremely happy on the morning of NCTE and Writing Project work.

I'm bringing a large posse with me this year and the reason why is because I love who they are as educators and scholars. They challenge me, inspire me, offer the world respect, and provide zest to this teaching gig. In other words, they amaze me.

It's all about Spirited Inquiry and it's because wisdom begins with wonder.

Teachers. Literacy experts. Scholars. Friends. I cannot wait for the reunion this weekend and eagerly await the Amtrak to Baltimore.

See you soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment