Monday, November 18, 2019

Not an Archeological Dig. Just Two Dogs Trying to Catch My Attention on Day 2 of a Weekend Marathon

Dog Psychology 101: If a guest dog is visiting, said guest dog will always eat from house dog's bowl, including house dog's special food.

Dog Psychology 101: If house dog is hosting a dog guest, said house dog will always eat from the guest's bowl and the guest's dog food selection.

I think this is like going out to dinner.

Dog Psychology 101: If home owner and dog owner is busy writing and working on academic stuff, guest dog will go to house dog's basket of treats and bring out every bone it can find.

Dog Psychology 101: If home owner has a human guest who comes over to write and plan for a conference and a publication, guest dog and house dog will do anything possible to get the attention of every human in the house.

Yesterday, I continued with my ram-horns, burrowing through writing tasks I wanted to accomplish. At one point, William King came over to assist in the process and guest dog and house dog did everything in their power to get the attention of the human guest. This included guest dog's series of finding home owner's hats around the house and running into the living room with them in her mouth, while refusing the homeowner to retrieve them (only the enticement of dog biscuits freed the clenched dog intent on getting the attention of the homeowner and guest). The game was funny, and I said, "William, dogs are just like kids when adult strangers are around."

I was determined to finish my writing tasks before I set out to grade. This took me to about 10:30 pm and my brain was/is officially spent.

I come to Monday morning anxious for office time in preparation of NCTE and to organize the ZOOM classes that need to occur while I'm away (funny that so many are nervous about an online class - all will be okay).

I am also thankful that last week, I prepared food via pasta, vegetable and meats, knowing that I had an agenda ahead. I kept human contact to a minimum (hence canine time at a maximum) and luckily succeeded with my plans. Fortunate for me, too, I put on the television for background noise just in time to catch 60 Minutes reporting on a new collaboration between IRS and Sesame Street. I love / to believe / in hope. The Great Whatever dangled this love before me as I was growing cynical about humanity.


And with this, I"m charged for another day.


No comments:

Post a Comment