Monday, November 11, 2019

And With That, I'm Back Home, Sadly Saying Goodbye to My Other Home, Until The Holiday Season


Visiting Syracuse is now more complicated than ever before because there's my childhood family, my college family and my adult family all meandered throughout the CNY area, so when I swing by for a quick weekend, my attention and time is pulled in several directions, 99% of them not being fulfilled. A given, THE GIVEN, is spending time with Chitunga, although there is never enough time to even do that. On Saturday night, he called the locations to meet and that we did (with a follow up coffee the next day as we tried desperately to hit the road).

I shouldn't post this or write this blog, because he hates any attention and doesn't want his world in the public spaces that I'm okay with. I try my best to respect that, but I love this kid and am so proud of him, his goals, his achievements and what he is heading towards in his future. The household where he is staying is equally fond of him and I laughed yesterday afternoon when I saw a whiteboard so they could keep up with his demanding schedule.

As my carload was getting read for the trek back to CT, Tunga grabbed his recent award as a promising contributor to the CPA world (a beautiful clock which he was nervous to received because he thought he'd have to speak). He wanted me to put it in his room for when he returns at Thanksgiving, which I did. I felt like I was holding a gold medal (which I was). I love his focus, drive, dedication, and conscientiousness. I thought about hosting it downstairs in my spaces, but knew it'd be best to put it in his room where he'll greet it in a couple of weeks.

The drive back was smooth riding with no delays in traffic; the major anxiety came from Glamis who travels neurotically and unlike most dogs, HATES being in the car. She just wouldn't settle, no matter how many voices tried to calm her down. Jessica, the poor soul who drew the shortest straw and had to ride with her, has lost a little of her sanity, too, I'm sure.

Hello, Monday. I'm back on the ground with my ram horns down. There is much I need to plow through in the next month and there's no choice but to get it done. What keeps me going, however, is knowledge that Chitunga will be home for turkey 5Ks and gravy, and I can return to CNY for ginger-ale, cherry juice and whisky while the chaos of Crandall/Barnwell/Isgar shenanigans continue.

Time flies much too quickly, and I'm thankful for every second. Thankful to all in the 'Cuse who continue to share their love with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment