Thursday, November 7, 2019

8:33:32 p.m. - What Were You Doing Last Night? My Grad Students Broke Out in War? Yours?

Argumentation is the fruit of life (no it's not, it's the vegetables of life. I said, "Meat! Meat of life."

Last night was an evening spent on argumentative writing and I did a variation of a workshop I've done from Kindergarten all the way to Teacher Professional Development. Yes, I draw on the experts and I give lots of hands-on, in-class time to use writer's notebooks, in every rendition of the workshop. I alter it, however, with older writers because they can handle it: we read literature, student writing, Op-Eds, articles, etc. and we harvest all for the arguments being made and what the research tells us.

I also go elementary with the work and have students debate what makes the best pets: dogs, cats, dinosaurs, or no pets at all. I'm used to the arguing and bickering that ensues and how the layers grow deeper and deeper as they begin to counter the arguments of others (best practices).

People are particular with their pets, and there's always one in favor of dinosaurs (thank you, Liam).

I also bring in the game Zobmondo from time to time and share how I used the game since 1998 to incite intense fighting on foods, ethics, animals, and conduct. The game was a lucky find and it pits scenarios of Would you rather this or would you rather that (my older sister's boy used this game to entertaining evening dinners for several years).

Last night, one group got in a screaming match over the results of what they'd rather do. Note: This is where I should be fired. I've never had this debate before nor seen something get so heated, so quickly.

The card prompted, "Would you rather have to swim 10 laps every day in an Olympic size pool of diarrhea or live the rest of your life with a sensitive scrotum sac on your chin?

This was the game and not Crandall. I had to shut the door because the group work turned into a whole class debate and I'm sure everyone on campus heard the screaming. The graduate students were citing readings, experiences, websites, science, and the Bible. They treated the question like it was the end of their life.

Now, I was embarrassed by the options, but the students were doing what all the readings on argumentative writing said they needed to do. They were using logic, argument, counter argument, expert references, personal experiences, ethos and oratorical delivery I didn't imagine was possible.

Teaching Reflection: How does one real it in? I had no idea someone would draw such a charged question. Hint: I handled it by saying take the debate to the parking lot after class. "Oh, we will, Dr. Crandall. We will." I left wondering if campus police would be called...I imagined Canisius Parking Lot was steaming with grotesque dialogue and rationality.

And then I drove home. 10 p.m. arrival, laundry to do. I was exhausted, and imagine the worst case scenario...the President of the University calls me and says, "Why were you teaching about swimming in poo and having testicles on your chin?"

It wasn't my intent, but that's where the class went. Sometimes teaching graduate students is no different than a room full of 15-year olds. On these nights, I shake my head and say, "I think I'm doing something right. Absurd as it is, it works."


No comments:

Post a Comment