Wednesday, November 13, 2019

I've Forgotten About The Energy of a 2nd Grade Classroom, But I Absorbed It On My Way to the Office Yesterday

It was a 12-hour day and that was my fault. I wanted to o a substantial amount of writing, but also wished to visited a 2nd grade teacher and her students in Bridgeport to catch up on her summer participation in the Writing Project and to check on what I could do to be of support.

I was greeted with 25 anxious, thrilled to see me, and inquisitive minds. I was later told that there were other students last week, but because of fights and behavior issues, there needed to be a rearrangement. "I love these kids, but the dynamics are something else this year."


They were wonderful kids with a phenomenal teacher, but the energy was easily felt. I was only there 45 minutes and in that time there were 7, yes SEVEN, different adults who walked in to get kids, take kids out, move kids to special supports, and to host literacy support. I asked, "Is it always this way?" and she responded, "yes."

I don't know how she juggles it. She was on point with her instruction...a writing prompt that fused the school's mission of restorative justice with the actions of last week, requiring students to reflect on their part. All this in 2nd grade!

The teacher handled it all miraculously and I was reminded of the crazy that is public schooling - the juggling, switching, demands, and expectations of every second on a classroom teacher (while at SU, my mentor and I used to tally administrative disruptions over the loud speaker...usually 17 interruptions each period).

I guess that is why I asked if the kids were going to write for the Poetry For Peace contest at the University. They were going to try to get to it, so I did asked if it was okay to do a mini-impromptu workshop. I was allowed an modeled,

Peace is
waking up on a Saturday 
taking Glamis 
the wonder dog
for a long walk, 
and looking up at the trees, 
the dancing sunlight 
dripping from the sky.

Peace is a room
of 2nd graders
humming their thoughts
into their notebooks,
writing possibility 
about friendship.
Ms. Fasol,
and being good human 
beings.

The room grew silent and for the next 15 minutes kids listed what was peaceful to them. The room grew peaceful and quiet and Ms. Fasoli awarded them points for being so focused for the task at hand.

I have nothing but respect and praise for the teachers in America's classrooms doing as they do. The numbers are large and expectations tremendous. I am in awe in the hard work of the teachers who work with our youngest writers building a foundation for literacy and language.

And I end my post today with a meme sent to me from my friend Susan in Florida. I hope to hold this close to my mind and heart over the next few months.

Yesterday, a CWP teacher provided me hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment