Sunday, November 24, 2019

All Love to #NCTE19, @writingproject, @ncte, @cwpfairfield, and Literacy Educators Across the Nation (and Good Bye)

Always hard to choose a moment or second or theme from a day to write about in the morning, but I thought this would be best. I skipped out on NCTE functions simply because I had to stay in my hotel room to write and work on pressing projects. I did, however, wander through the convention center hall on the way to meet a friend of mine. I ran into William King, a right hand everything to work in CWP, who said he was waiting for a 1 o'clock session, but then we ran into Phoebe Yeh, VP / Editor and Random Penguin House extraordinaire. She's quickly become one of my favorite people in the work I do and we bonded over my love for Walter Dean Myers and the fact that she was his editor. She has a great eye for what kids will read and how books will become national sensations (cough cough, like Nic Stone).

Last night, I had dinner with Phoebe, Kristin Shultz, Nic Stone, Candace Fleming, Camryn Garrett, Scott Reintgen, Mae Respicio, Olugemsola Rhuday-Pekovich and Jeff Zenter. Rose Brock, Susan James, Jarred Amato and I were lucky to sit down in conversation with some of the superstars of the season.

I was lucky to sit with 19 year-old, Camryn, who is publishing Full Disclosure, while still in college. Her enthusiasm for books (and knowledge) simply floored me and I felt honored that The Great Whatever had her at my table (Nic Stone says Camryn's her baby prodigy - I can see why).

Meanwhile, in Syracuse, New York, my friend Sandy Bargainier is sending me photos of a refugee youth event she's attending where Abu and Ali are doing their thing - leading the way. Made me proud as the photos came in. Love knowing that the integrity, focus, responsibility and ubuntu are circulating in the Central, New York region, too.

I have one more presentation this morning, and then I need to pack up, head to Amtrak and start focusing on the Thanksgiving week ahead. I absolutely love every second of NCTE/Writing Project life, but it can be very exhausting, especially with so many minutes of the day accounted for with work, excitement, networking and possibilities.

I may need to take it easy Monday, as I aim to find rest and focus for the turkey and stuffing needing to be cooked.

Great job Baltimore planners. It was a phenomenal experience. I am very privileged to be a part of it all.

And all these free books from Random Penguin House. Love their editorial team.




No comments:

Post a Comment