Thursday, November 21, 2019

Looking Forward to Presenting w/ @RebeccaMarsick, @mrsherzogSHS, @reallyrosebrock, @getnicced, Susan James and Amanda Haugen Today @ncte @writingproject, 11 a.m.

A two-state collaboration. Writers from two additional states. 100s, if not 1,000s of young people and teachers invited to write about hope, inspiration, and dreams, all in the context (and with response) to Rose Brock's edited collection, Hope Nation.

Two summers ago, during the same week, Dr. Susan James of Emerald Coast Writing Project and Kim Herzog of Staples High School, both sent me a "Must Read" alert. Susan, in fact, mailed me a copy. Soon after, I was lucky to meet Rose Brock during the Saugatuck StoryFest and, as a result, was introduced to Nic Stone.

Time moves quickly. The next thing I know I write a grant called, "The Superpower of Hope," and I have a teacher institute based on a reading of Hope Nation, Matt de La Peña's Superman: Dawnbreaker, and a summer of exploring what hope means to teachers and kids.

Meanwhile, Susan, Amanda, Rebecca and Kim are doing similar work at their own schools. Nic Stone's "Almost" is a huge hit with our kids and teachers. We thought it was the perfect reason to propose a National Writing Project/NCTE session. They'll all be there and I get to tap my inner-Oprah (a dream I had as a high school student to host my own talk show).

We arrived yesterday afternoon and scoped out the venue (visited with a couple of other early birds, too - who didn't have much to say).

I am so lucky to be emceeing this panel. I get to ask questions about Hope Nation, Nic Stone's contribution, Susan Jame's and Kim Herzog's visions, and the writing it inspired for Rebecca Marsick and Amanda Haugen.

I love / to believe / in hope.
Very happy to have Pensacola, Florida collaborating with Fairfield, Connecticut to share the incredible work of this cross-National Writing Project Site project.

No comments:

Post a Comment