Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Counting down! Well, 24 hours to go. Looking forward to Baltimore, 2019

This will be my view tomorrow, as my teachers and I are packing up to leave for Baltimore...NCTE and the National Writing Project Conference, where we have the fortune to showcase 6 presentations, to work with with authors, and to interact with phenomenal literacy minds from across the nation.

The process is something amazing. We propose in January what we think we'll be ready to discuss in November. If applications are accepted, then we're invited to register. This, of course, requires hotel reservations (for us, 9 rooms) and arrangements. Then, we get to put the presentations together. Of course, I'm Mr. Neurotic and call weekly to be sure the hotel rooms are set. It's all been good until yesterday, when one of the rooms disappeared. I about lost my #$@$#, but I think we have it all fixed now. There are a lot of wonderful educators counting on my planning and organization. I know I'm on top of my game, but there's so much to take care of, I'm never quite sure if I thought I did something, or I forgot to do something.

Today, however, I have a day of meetings and setting up Mt. Pleasant for the boys who will be taking care of Glamis for the 5 days I'll be away: this means cleaning, new sheets, getting groceries, a little cash, and a plan of action. Wednesday will be travel day on Amtrak, but I never know if I will have the internet available or not, so I've been full force getting ready for this event.

And what is the first thing I get to do when I arrive? Well, teach a graduate course back home, of course. I have to do it online! And with video! And with a plan of action!

This is all to say I might sleep the entire way there. I'm exhausted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment