Tuesday, November 12, 2019

One More @WOLSyracuse Post with Thanks to @MarcelleHaddix (Photo by William King)

William King sent me this photo last night and I didn't know he was taking pictures. Last Friday evening, a 10th year celebration of Writing Our Lives occurred in Syracuse, New York and I was invited to speak on my involvement and the influence of Dr. Marcelle Haddix on the work, my life, and what CWP-Fairfield is accomplishing in the Nutmeg State. My remarks were one of story, a collaborative idea, her miraculous vision, minimal funding for a professor and graduate student to partner on research, and the ability to establish an after-school writing program at a local high school. I was lucky to see two years of the work carried out before I took my position in another state.

10 years later, the rest is history.

At the end of the evening, Dr. Marcelle Haddix called people back up to speak from her heart about the collaborations, discussions, dreams, and accomplishments, and called me back to the mic. I think it is shown from my sincere stare at her while she was speaking that I was listening with all of my might and totally honored to hear what she had to say. I can't say I recalled every word, but I know that her words drilled deep into my heart and nestled a sense of belonging, of purpose and of action deep within in my soul.

I'm a gregarious, larger hugger of the world, and spend a lot of my time doing, and not necessarily hearing from others about the work. This moment, however, chiseled into my entire being - an acknowledgment of commitment, an applause for the National Writing Project work that is everything to me, and a recognition that I'm doing exactly what I was called to this Earth to do. It meant the world to me - this moment in time....one of those moments I wish I could see in a recording again and again.

Instead, I have this picture and I will love it forever.

I am, because she is, and we are, because of writing and the power of youth.

No comments:

Post a Comment