Thursday, September 12, 2019

Writers' Notebooks Never Get Old. They Are the Pulse to The Writer's Life. Thrilled to See @HalseAnderson Represented

Last night was one of those nights where I absolutely love my job with all my might. Following the National Writing Project and Ralph Fletcher's missions, last week I handed out blank composition books and asked my graduate students to personalize them and to make them their own. It's what I've been doing since 1996 and the Louisville Writing Project, in 2002, solidified why.

One teacher, an English educator and cross country coach at Greenwich High School, Sean Astle, caught my attention when I saw that he had a print of Laurie Halse Anderson and him on his notebook. I asked him, "Hey, is that Laurie Halse Anderson?" and he replied, "Yes. I met her last year at the bookstore when she was discussing her new book Shout.

I asked, "What did you think?"

This is why I love writers' notebooks and the personal decorating - images beget stories and stories trigger stories and stories build communities. We instantly bonded.

Sean was in the last row of the bookstore during her talk and learned that, because of this, he would be the last row called to line up for autographs. He didn't mind, though, because he had a mission. He wanted, HOPED, to get four copies autographed.

"I watched the line and thought, Hmmm. I hope she'll have time to sign my books."

He then proceeded to do qualitative research and watched the writer as she worked with and personalized every signature for everyone in attendance.

"I couldn't believe the emotions," he said. "There was tremendous emotions at that event and Laurie Halse Anderson made every interaction, every signature matter."

I agreed. I said, "She's Uber-human. So real. So genuine. So brilliant and above the work she creates. She's the real deal."

"Yes," he responded. "That mattered to me. I may have been last in line, but she treated me like I was the first. That photograph is extremely special to me."

Wow. He has a narrative (if he chooses). Homework for next week.

For me, I was impressed that a teacher I didn't know was at an event I helped create. I have been fortunate to have connections and interactions like I do, but it means even more for me when an educator I don't know was touched, motivated, and changed forever as a result.

That's not me. That's the magic of the CNY/Denmark/YA connection.

What a great way to spend the second week of class.

I'm thankful for both of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment