Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Squirrel! Squirrel! Okay, I Get the Metaphor and It is 100% Accurate, but Help! Squirrel! Squirrel!

We have white squirrels in Stratford. In Louisville, I only saw one, but in Stratford, they are more common. I used to think they were Albino squirrels, but I'm now thinking they simply are a breed of squirrel because they are everywhere. They don't only distract me, but they drive Glamis nuts...

...nuts like the entourage of puppies debuting on our daily walk. Puppies are everywhere, and I simply want to pick them all up and smell their breaths...

Before the Up-squirrel metaphor, students and colleagues always accused me of being beyond ADHD and unfocused. They claimed I was unable to concentrate on any one item for too long because I was easily distracted and quick to turn my head. I counter today, however, with the fact that if I was really unable to focus as they claim, I wouldn't be able to achieve and accomplish all that I do. I do focus. I do concentrate. I do put 100% of my attention into items.

Otherwise I wouldn't get anything done.

I was thinking about this last night, as I realize the semester is in full-force and there's so many carrots being dangled before me to chase. I am easy to look at the glitz and glitter, but often see quickly to the facade of what is being offered (and quickly realize it is a distraction that doesn't benefit the quest I'm on). I'm always after what is best for teachers and kids. Yes, I can quickly have my attention turned away, but I also know how to focus on what is best laid out to support the individuals I love the most.

Last night, too, I had my nose, eyes and tongue in a million propositions trying to figure out what to concentrate on most. I quickly pushed the majority of proposals to the side and, with my gut in check, decided to lay my focus on what is most important to me.

There are contingent cases, however. There are a few outlying opportunities that are dazzling to me, but I want to be sure those laying out the carrot are sincere, with integrity and with a vision for something that is actually sustainable and useful.

I'm an addict, too. I believe in the biblical verses of the National Writing Project and am quick to judge any and all who don't bring the teachers teaching teachers model before me. Too often, proposals in higher education are agenda/career-oriented with little respect for K-12 kids and their teachers. I sniff them out quickly, and know that I will always choose what will benefit our young writers in the end. That, and that only, holds my attention.

It's already Tuesday, and I'm in awe at the email requests I receive. I'm sorry, but if it is not in the tradition of advocating for K-12 educators and what they must endure, then I am not interested.

Squirrel. Squirrel. I saw a chipmunk while walking today (Glamis did, too). Squirrels aren't the only rodents out there fetching for our attention.

Be careful out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment