Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Subaru Doobie-Doo, We Got Wheels, How 'Bout You? Celebrating Collegiality on Campus and in Stratford

Returning from CNY on Sunday after the funeral services, I went to Big Y to put some goods in the fridge. When I pulled in, I saw an orange Subaru and pulled beside it. I had a hunch it was my neighbor and colleague, Dr. Kris Sealy, and it was.  She wanted a car like mine, but stick shift, and all they had was orange.

It was only a matter of time before we parked next to each other at the grocery store, because that is where we usually run into one another, more times than not buying food to have with one another for dinner/cookout gatherings. Dave is a beast on the grill and, well, he introduced me to steak tips which I'm more than happy to cook for them and their boys. We're a bag of Skittles, I tell you, and the same is true for the Fairfield University parking lot.

Although my sneakers tend to match my Hulk, I've yet to purchase a halter-top to match its color, unlike Kris who has taken to dressing like her new wheels to a new height. As I was carting items from my car to my office, Michael J. Harding, the cut out figure, fell from one of my picture frames. Kris, who was parked across from me at the University, was packing up to go home. I said, "Quick. We need to send Michael a photo of you and your new whip."

Eventually, the orange and lime green humor and excitement will get old, and I'm wondering if there's a philosophical stance on such a phenomenon - that is, when the joy and happiness of coincidences eventually become mundane and a non-trigger (Kris is a Philosophy professor and works with materials that are far above my pay grade).

For now, I'm wondering if Schrödinger's cat is actually calico with orange and lime fur. All I know is that I will continue to be excited when I can pull beside her pumpkin and cherish the day that my car, her car, and Dennis K. Keenan's mini-cooper of a butter squash nature all find spots next to one another.

We need to get him shopping at Big Y, too.

We are what we drive! And that's a compliment.

No comments:

Post a Comment