Thursday, July 11, 2019

We Are Already Post-Hump Day - Week 3 of CWP-Fairfield Invitational and Young Adult Literacy Labs. Phew!

I suppose one secret of summer success is hosting a program that captures the imagination each and every day. I arrive just before 8 and I leave after 4 (last night, 8:30 pm). It's that kind of hustle. Yet, when I come home and think about it, it is a blink of an eye. The engagement is so positive and the joy so omnipresent, that it feels like we're punching in and punching out. I simply drive home wondering, "Wow. That went fast."

Yesterday, I had the privilege of doing the Scripted workshop as I also did with the Emerald Coast Writing Project in Penascola. It is, hands down, my favorite two-hour workshop to give, simply because everyone is having a blast.

It is also the workshop that gets requested the most by the teachers leading our Young Adult Literacy Labs. It is 100% successful and 100% guaranteed, no matter the audience or the age group (and interestingly, although it's been done at state and national conferences, it's never been accepted for NCTE or other national conferences. Interesting.

The little kids are also amazing writers when they are given the opportunity to sketch dialogue from their lives and with their imaginations. They simply want to play, be creative and have the opportunity to share their writing with others. You know it is a hit when they see you packing up and they yell, "Why are you leaving? We want to write more."

The cool thing is I can say, "Oh, you can write more. Look at your wonderful teachers. They are much better instructors than I'll ever be."

We also cashed in on $3 lunches at the Levy. Believe it or not it was delicious - Thai chicken with Jasmine rice. Definitely worth more than $3, but hey, if that is what they want to charge, how can I argue?

I will need an administrative day, today. Way too much paperwork, organizing, ordering and accomplishing to do beyond the teaching frenzy that has been this week.

I love every second of it, although I go to bed each night, post 5K run, totally ready for bed.

Ah, we got this!

No comments:

Post a Comment