Friday, July 26, 2019

Keeping It In the Family and, Well, Generationally, with CWP. I Am in Awe At How Interconnected the Work Is We Do

This is just to say that several years ago I had an incredible teacher come through the Writing Institute, Tom Ward, and he not only endured a summer with me, but also several courses. He was an awesome educator with a sense of humor, passion, direction, and a justice mission.

Fast forward almost 8 years. A marriage, a rearrangement, and new brothers following suit, I was honored to have Tom's step-mom write to see about enrolling her three incredible young men into the program. I simply said, "A brother to Tom Ward is a brother to me. Bring them to CWP and let us see what we can do."

Wola! College Essay and Project Citizen! Boom! These 3 young men are making a name for themselves just like their older brother. They are incredible, admirable and hardworking young men. I can't believe what they'r accomplishing, but even better, how modest they are. They have the literacy proficiency of their older brother. Each stands bashful, but one on one I'm hearing from their instructors that they are powerhouses.

I am loving the fact that my work at CWP is now crossing generations. I'm in awe of the parental support, focus, and devotion behind these three kids.

Only time will tell the story behind this photo, but I for one and fully in belief of the power of family,. The Wards...well, they're family and I love them for this. Ha! The family that writes together, stays together! That might be another motto worth considering. 

No comments:

Post a Comment