Saturday, July 20, 2019

No. They Aren't Bags. Those are Suitcases...Shoot, They're PODS Under My Eyes. Closing Off Week #4

I'm in need of sleep, but I'm not ready for it. Instead, I am extremely thankful tot he incredible educators I hire to carry forward the literacy labs and teacher institutes I run. Yes, I facilitate where I can - lead workshops and such - and mentor with the research I know, but they do the lion's share of instruction and I'm always 100% impressed by the work. This Friday, yesterday, we heard from our last Little Labbers and our last novelists, and now we are getting ready for the onslaught of teenage work as our programs quadruple next week.

I am inhaling and exhaling, thankful again for the instructors: William King, Jessica Baldizon, Colin Hosten, Michael DeStefano, Shaun Mitchell, Dave Wooley, Gina Ludlow, Kim Herzog Kara Peters,Abu Bility Shannon Kelley, Julie Roneson, and Denise Howe. I am just as happy with our assistant literacy workers: Kevin Fiallos, Stefania Vendrella, Yafriesi Oliva, and Justin Wooley. There is so much going on from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. that I can't capture it all.

Yesterday, however, I was able to stop into every promenade - our Friday readings, and I was absolutely amazed by the quality of student writing. More impressive is their willingness to share with adult audiences what they've been working on. The designs of book covers and development of thought are simply remarkable.

I hopped from room to room to discuss the importance of community in writing achievement and felt great about the parental reception of what I had to say about mixing up communities, exploring stories and offering an outlet for young people to find their voice.

I am waking up on this very hot Saturday simply wanting a day without having to think about anything but hydration. I congratulate the success of the past 4 weeks of literacy labs!

No comments:

Post a Comment