Sunday, July 28, 2019

With Hope They Work. Twin Blueberry Bushes on Mt. Pleasant and Wishes For Their Success.

Ever since my Indiana days (even KY), I've loved going to Bryant's Blueberries to score bushels of blueberries (which I used to use for pancakes and a blueberry crunch dish for ice cream). Phew. Many moons ago, too, I picked blueberries for weeks knowing I was making 100 or so jars of blueberry jam for my little sister's wedding (Spread the love with the Barnwells). I taught myself to preserve the jam and after making 60 or so, I said, "You need to bring me to Syracuse. I can't keep the pace in time for the wedding."

I'm trying to figure out where I got the energy for that...but it was an act of love.

This summer in Connecticut, I've been mowing my neighbor's lawn because she had surgery on her elbow and was under doctor's orders not to labor in her yard. I don't mind mowing another lawn (I am a son of a Butch), and she has awarded me with blueberries from her bushes.  Yesterday, too, however, I heard a knock on my door and there was Debbie with a card and two blueberry plants. "I want to thank you for your willingness to step up and help me this summer," she said. "These are for you."

Huge smile. Super joy. Then a panic. What if my yard isn't suited for blueberry plants.

Fingers crossed that they will take off and do well. It would be amazing to know that every year I will be able to go out to harvest my own berries (and perhaps make jam again).

It was a wonderful gift....absolutely unexpected and 100% appreciated. Bryan's Blueberries has a ring to it (just drop the t from Indiana).

We shall see. They're in the ground and I'm ready to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment