Friday, July 12, 2019

The Superpower of Conferencing - That Is Another Hope We Need To Encourage of Teachers With Students

In Week 3, we initiate teacher/student writing conferences so that those in the teacher institute build skills with those attending our literacy labs. It is always funny to see because the kids are scared to death to be assigned a one-on-one mentor for their righting, often very shy to read their work, and the teachers are petrified of doing damage to the student writing. They line up facing each other and then we partner. When I leave them, they are crestfallen and shaking. When I return, they are always, "Dr. Crandall, can we have more time? Are we going to be able to work together again? Can I bring this teacher to my school? Oh, my Gosh, I wish I had this kid in my classroom"

The facial expressions tell it all. It's all smiles.

Then, we go back to our individual rooms to debrief and the kids make a list of what the teachers do right and what they wish they could do better. It is empowering to us all.

In the afternoon, when I came upstairs to find my office, I saw all the teachers, student workers and interns diving into The Superpower of Hope - Connecticut Writing Project t-shirts. They were coaching one another on how to fold and label the sizes best. Why? They couldn't wait to have them available to parents and teachers tomorrow. My worry is that the 90 people with us this week will clean the stock for the rest of the summer. I ordered conservatively (and it is on my credit card needing to be paid back)

Today is Prom Day and student showcase displays. We'll do pizza, high five with families and then clean up for round 4 next week.

Abu and I are on campus everyday from 7:30 to 4:00. We look at each other and say, "This doesn't feel like work. It goes by super fast."

And he had to drive me to work today and yesterday. The sulfur smell and check engine lights is not looking good for the Hulk. It's looking like the Transmission A 5-yer old car. Pray for us.

Unexpected bills are my kryptonite.


No comments:

Post a Comment