Monday, July 15, 2019

Missing My Niece Today and Wondering Why She Hasn't Visited Us in Connecticut.

Yesterday, when talking to my older sister and catching up, I asked about Nikki and they said, "Oh, she's away for the weekend." It made me curious about what was one of our original photographs taken via the Facebook years. Found one (because most of the earlier photos of her in cowboy hats and tutus were pre-Facebook phenomena).

I sent videos on her birthday, but didn't get around to sending a card. She would say I do this every year, but that is not how I remember it. This year, though, I admit that I didn't send a card. I had every intention and it was on my mind daily, but the craziness of CWP summer kept distracting me. Now I am awaiting the perfect gift (although I am thinking that the perfect gift would be for her to visit and for Pam Kelly to make her a Pam-a-rita before we kayak the Long Island Sound).

Truth-be-told, once one is 21 the birthday bonanzas seem to fall by the wayside. There may be something for 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, etc. and the decades become meaningful. Post 21, eyveryone slides into the adult-life blur where everthing goes by too fast and there's not enough time in the day to do all that one hopes they'll accomplish.

I'm guessing this photo is from her junior year. The beginning grays are just starting to appear in my goatee (hairs that are all white now). She has a job and a boyfriend in Binghamton, so gone are the days of her asking everyone to do things for her: Can you take me to Target? Can you take me to the mall? Can you come get me for ice cream? That's the great thing about adulthood...everyone can do that sort of thing on their own (and with their own money).

With all this noted, I'd love for her and Deante to come visit me in CT. The adult version of Nikki is a creature of my imagination. I get glimpses at Christmas but that is usually in the hubbub of holiday chaos.

So, this post is just an open invitation to her, too all my family, that my house is your house, too.

Back to CWP.

No comments:

Post a Comment