Thursday, October 31, 2019

Shot With the Flu and Ready for a Vicki Soto Run, All While Teaching a Grad Course. Hello, Halloween!

The flu line opened at 11 a.m.

I was in it by 11:05. I handed over all my medical cards and the lady was like, "Which one do you want me to use?" I responded, "I rarely use them. You choose."

The flu-shot was free to faculty and, to be honest, I didn't feel a thing. Last year, I bypassed free shots and I swear I had the flu from December to May, so this year I wasn't taking any chances. If the University was giving it for free, I wouldn't mind the lines...and I didn't.

My day began at 7:30 a.m. and ended at 10:15 p.m. when I got home from teaching. Glamis, the Wonder Dog, refused to go out when I had to leave, so I came home to let her out. She still refused, but I made her go. The drizzle is miserable, yes, but a dog has to pee. Go, already.

I also stopped by the Vicki Soto headquarters to get my bib number and pins for the 5K on Saturday, one of my favorite runs each year.
It is a reminder of my love for teachers and kids, and the fact that school shootings are real...they affect our communities...they touch the lives of many, and we have a problem. I did not know Vicki Soto, but I've come to know her through the family and friends who have kept her memory alive - making positive out of a horrible, horrific and terrible tragedy that should have never happened in the greatest nation ever to have a history in the world.

Some might ask, "Why do such shootings continue to happen, then?" Well, there's a good question to be answered. I invite you to look into it.

I will be running. I will continue to push my definition of GOOD into the world. I will take pride in the community around me that chooses love over hate.

And I will always advocate for the pro-kid, pro-teacher and pro-diversity mantra.

Last night, we spent the evening analyzing and interpreting art, writing, and a believe in the Power of Words. In my head, however, I was thinking about yesterday, the history of our communities, the reality of mass shootings and the need to uplift our kids and schools.

I may be protected from the flu, in theory, but there's no protection from the madness. Their could be a vaccine, but we know full-well that politics trumps sanity (pun intended).

It should be simple, but humans suck and make it complex. So, I keep my eyes open, I see, I watch, I observe and I listen.

Then I act. Actions speak louder than words. 

No comments:

Post a Comment