Tuesday, October 8, 2019

And Then There Is That Moment, @kwamealexander, We Do The Math. Really? 2012? Then a Writing Conference, 2013? Hmmm. Time

The Great Whatever. A way of life. A philosophy to guide the soul. Another explanation for throwing "Yes" into the universe and allowing stories to be written exactly as they are.

On Sunday I receive a spur-of-the-moment invitation from the Rooster via Facebook and within seconds I learned a role model, an inspiration, and a friend would be reading in Connecticut. I tried to get tickets, but of course it was sold out. I texted, "Can't. It's booked" He texts back, "Yes, you can." Um, "Yes, I can."

And I do. He continues, "Tell them you're my brother." I'm just a fan, a pollywog in the pond beyond the Rooster's barn. An academic, teacher-nerd, and believer of all that young people have to offer.

It's a story of crossing over. 

Teacher loves writing. Teacher loves kids. Teacher meets a man in CNY because a hurricane, Sandy, has both us of trapped at the same conference and a teacher, Rhiannon, says, "I met this guy and he is trapped in Syracuse like you. Do you think you can drive him to my high school tomorrow? He said he'd do a workshop with my kids."
Sure. Who is he? "You are kindred spirits," she says. "Trust me on this one." 

I pick him up and he wows her students. Fascinates me. Sets me up, but I coached volleyball for several years and I know when I'm being set up at the net. When he calls on me, tests me out, I'm ready to respond. 

I realize he's magic. He wants a new winter coat so I take him to a mall and later he says, "I can't believe you took me to Burlington." 

That's fancy shopping for this amphibian. I'm cheap in the wallet. It works for me. I didn't know.

The rest is history. He comes to my first Writing Our Lives conference, a youth-centered workshop I brought with me through my days of collaborating with Dr. Marcelle Haddix at Syracuse University. He wows the Connecticut crowd. 

Time moves forward and I get the ARC for The Crossover. With a National Writing Project grant, I work with teachers at Hill Central in New Haven, Connecticut, and ask Kwame Alexander to return to Connecticut to feature Acoustic Rooster and His Barnyard Band. I also arrive with the first 100 copies of The Crossover I can find. He's there for the Rooster, but the middle school kids inundate him with questions about his basketball book. Success.

Long story short - we helped turned an urban middle school around and he graciously agrees to do a National Writing Project radio show to tell the story, which later gets turned into a publication in Study and Scrutiny.

Soon after, he wins a Newbery (which I knew he would) and CWP-Fairfield receives an LRNG Innovation Award through NWP, John Legend Show Me Campaign, and the MacArthur Foundation. 
In academic years, I was just a pollywog. I suppose he was a hatchling already soaring with the Eagles. Rooster. Ribbit Ribbit. On the trajectory of life - The Great Whatever - we move forward, solo, but realize it is a we-initiative. We are stronger when we operate in collaboration of others. 

I didn't know Kwame Alexander was touring the United States, but was delighted to hear from him (as was an audience full of fans in CT, including a middle school teacher who had his students create sneaker art as a result of his writing)(see photo above) 

And I continue to be in awe of him as a human, a writer, a motivational speaker, a mentor, a teacher and friend. This is Tuesday morning post. I continue to be inspired and to believe in The Superpower of Hope, which I was thrilled to give him as a gift. 

Kwame has a right to hate the top photo (but there's a history of such selfies throughout the year). I love making ridiculous selfies (that's my dork-infested ammo). Yet, I have a right to be thankful this morning for his books, his advice, his generosity, and everything still to come. 

Thank you, Kwame Alexander. I'm shaking my head just thinking back to 2013. Shoot, to 2012 when I first met you. Were we young? Naive? Strategic? Hmmm.

The stories transcend the stories that beget stories still to be written. 

You often say, "I appreciate you, man." But that is mutual.

I truly appreciate you, too, man. So do the boys. So do my students. So do the teachers in schools where I'm fortunate to promote your writing. 

You have always been meant to be. I look forward to your brilliance to come.













No comments:

Post a Comment