Saturday, October 19, 2019

Best Part of Philly? The National Writing Project Connection, Of Course - So Great to See @Seecantrill Yesterday

Some of my earliest and best memories of National Writing Project work once I left the Louisville Writing Project to host my own site in Connecticut has been with Christina Cantrill. I especially remember early-days work with her, Elyse, and Troy Hicks when we ventured to the MIT maker spaces and, well, my brain was simply blown away.

Yesterday, hiking the incredible streets of Philly it occurred to me that one of my favorite NWP peeps, Christina, lived in the the city. I sent her a text and we met for coffee near my hotel. I loved every second of our talk, and I'm very much hoping to tap her puppet skills for a writing workshop with CT writers very soon.

Then there was the head explosion (Wait! Bob Jobin and Judy Buchanan live here, too! Why didn't anyone tell me? They so would have been invited to join us. I love them all - the heartbeats and pulse of the entire network).

I didn't expect Philly to call to me as it has, but I really love the city. Every corner, all the hustle and bustle, the personalities, culture and history made me want to move here as soon a I can. There's an incredible vibe to the location and I can't believe I haven't been here before now. It felt like a home away from home....a little London, a little NYC, but with the local feel of Syracuse.

Any city with frog statutes that are looking at skyscrapers is a natural draw to this guy. The streets are full of wonderful things to discover and personalities to jive with. It felt so alive and inviting.

I probably walked 10 miles yesterday between conference venues, meals, and conversations and I loved every step I took (it's nice to live a life that is carried by feet and not gasoline). I could get very, very used to such a lifestyle.

This morning, Drs. Betsy Bowen, Michelle Farrell and I will present on our work at Fairfield University and I hope we get a few attendees (I imagine an early a.m. session plus the draw of the City on a Saturday might deter many from coming).

Yesterday, I attended several sessions with Syracuse connections and my mind is simply blown away by the work they're doing and the memories I have of the the place where it all began.

And of course I look forward to the train ride back to CT only because I find it wonderful to have to sit still for 3 hours to write! It's like a private nirvana and I feel so lucky that I'm able to travel this way.

Happy Saturday, everyone. I am hoping all is well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment