Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Resorting to Winter Meals, But Refusing to Ramp Up the Heat just Yet. Soups and Blankets It Shall Be

I didn't say it was a good soup. I microwaved it - a Vietnamese dish that I used to love, but I think the company changed its marketing so it was very warm, but not very tasty.

And thus comes the PB & J season for Crandall. Good nights will be Triscuits and cheese. I get home and if I haven't been crock-potting all day, I'm typically disappointed with my evening options.

Summer grills save me. I can cook anything outdoors, and the warm temperatures make it that much easier. The colder months are not as kind to me, especially with the long hours at the University and the lack of sunlight when I'm off. I should pat myself on the back, however, because I talked myself out of grabbing something out of the house to eat. Trust me, I was tempted.

And today is Wednesday, the day that begins at 7 a.m. and usually ends about 9:15 p.m. when I drive myself home. I have to catch Amtrak on Thursday, too, so this morning seems extra-taxing. I never seem to rev myself up to truly enjoy the long days of summer, and when the crisp temperatures of fall quickly arrive I'm put in defense mode: Wait? How did that happen so quickly? I was just mowing my lawn! Can't I still get vegetables from the garden and Farmer's Market?

Nope. Life in the northeastern United States is upon us. I wake up instantly wanting to go back to bed. Of course, Glamis the wonder dog is beside me anxious to go for a walk or have a ball tossed her way to play.

I just want soup and bread. I want a blanket and a pillow. I want to hibernate until the spring thaw (and we haven't even had a frost yet).

Okay. It's time for a body and mind transition. Attitude over reality. 

No comments:

Post a Comment