Friday, August 9, 2019

Two Views of a Thursday: 50% Domestic Stuff (Read Glamis Drama) and 50% on Work Stuff (Read Crandall Drama)

Don't tell anyone, but I am washing my hands with work for the day. I am telling myself that knowing that I have to complete two major projects today, but knowing I have very little left to give.

Yesterday morning started with a Glamis visit to the vet and I have to say that the mild sedative was helpful. At Companion Hospital she was loving, extra loving, and she wouldn't leave my lap because I was her licking post. She was calm, sure, but also extra affectionate. When Stephanie came in, too, she was loving and was simply, "Check my teeth and glands, beautiful. We got this."

I said, "We figured it out. A pill to calm her down."

Then they took her back to get her nails clipped. SILENCE OF THE LAMBS. HOWELS. TERROR. My dog is absolutely hysterical in a terrible way when anyone comes after her feet. All the other patrons of their vet practice were horrified by the sounds she was making. I simply said, "That's my dog. I'm used to it."

After, both Ken and Steph came out wiping sweat from their brow and saying, "She was so much better this time." Really? My dog is a whack-a-doodle when it comes to having anyone clip her nails.

Meanwhile, she was in chill zone when we returned and slept the rest of the day when I went to the office to work. I got a run in and it was hot. I knew storms were coming and by evening they arrived (although we missed the brunt of it).

The clouds were cool the way they came in, but I'm guessing we were at the southern parts of the massive cold front that pushed through Connecticut. I kept waiting for the lightening, thunder, hail and winds, but they stayed away. It looks, too, that there will be another day of high heat before it calms down and gets colder for the weekend (still beach weather).

I am going to try my best to 'chill out' this weekend and restructure my mindset around calm. I say this every summer, but I'm in a major need of a mental break. I rarely am at risk for burn out, but I'm definitely on the edge and I need to rethink my universe and what is next for me.

I will go to my grave thinking that actions speak louder than words, so I'm looking to think about the next act - one that is purposeful, mission-driven, sustainable and healthy, rather than exploitive, hypocritical and sad. I haven't figured out that solution yet, but it is stirring in my brain like the storm clouds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment