Saturday, August 10, 2019

Going Into The Weekend Absorbing the Sunshine, Watching the Butterfly Bushes, and Soaking In a Taste of Summer

As I went out back to stretch before a run, I noticed that my plants were enduring a feeding frenzy with big and small butterflies going crazy for the butterfly bush. When I returned from my run, they were still there (or maybe a new cohort), but they were filling themselves up with nectar and joy. It was like they were sharks and I through them bait.

I decided to do the same for myself. I called it a half day Friday and spent the rest of the day at a pool in Milford soaking in the sun and sipping a Pink Pamther (which is a pamarita with cranberry juice) and eating steak. I almost felt like I was out back at my mom and dad's having a pool day. Nothing like playing in a pool until the skin is pruned and raisin-esque. It's hard to stay indoors when the weather is so beautiful outside and the humidity is as low as it is. You have to enjoy such days.

We're expected to have another one today and on Sunday.

I know I need a lawn day (and outdoors day) in the morning, plus I need to start listing what still needs to be accomplished. I am looking to the butterflies, however, to realize I need to take advantage of the weather while we have it.

I'm thinking back to the my naturalist days and working at Jefferson Memorial Forest when the boss ranger told me I had a crew of 20 coming for a butterfly garden demonstration. I said, "I know nothing about butterfly plants," and he said, "Oh, you will. You have 24 hours before you lead the workshop."

Needless to say I read books from the office and went to the library to brush up quick. It's always nice to see a garden in bloom with so much insect activity. It makes me feel like I'm doing my part. I know, too, that this is year 3 and much has leaped, so there will need to be an expansion and deliberate relocation of my butterfly and hummingbird plants next year. I have memories of a friend's garden in London and have always wanted to recreate such a relaxing garden at my own home. I'm getting there, one year at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment