Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Decided to Jump Right Past the Mid-Life Crisis and Settle Into Senior Citizen Early Week Specials (Dressed the Part, Too)

Yesterday was Lois's birthday and it is hard to believe it's been six years. We chose to celebrate by going to a fancy restaurant that has Monday specials. We knew she'd want steak, but I had a roast beef sandwich for lunch, so opted for fish. I was wearing jeans and it was too hot, so I threw on a bathing suit I left at Pam's. It didn't quite match, but when we saw the crowd of people taking advantage of the Monday night special, $17 meals is a perfect set-up for retirees, in which most of the men were dressed exactly as I was...mixed patterns that didn't quite go together.

It was a good meal and we tipped glasses to Lois, then took Glamis and Jake for a walk in the heat (today's storms are supposed to chase that away).

I bought Pam pomegranate juice for Martinis, because that's what she always drinks. I asked her to make me one, but refused any olive. I've never had a Martini, and was a little alarmed at the foo-foo glass. The flavor was great, but the sugar and sweetness was a bit much.

Pam looked at my outfit and the martini and said, "Yup, we definitely lives a retiree Monday."

I came home to meet Bucky, my neighbor's Tibetan Terrier that is 9 weeks old. Munson, her past dog, passed earlier this year and it was sad. I'm glad to see her with a new love nugget in her life and it really is a precious creature. The markings are absolutely wonderful.

I'll be spending today, however, listening to books on tape downloaded from Audible as I venture to the original Homefront and spend a few days helping out wherever I'm needed.

The calendar is filling up fast and the load gets heavy starting next week. I don't think Glamis will be thrilled about another trip but I'm loving the forecast for Wednesday, which looks like the most promising day ahead.

Looking forward to seeing the family and being sure that Chitunga is settled into his last year (a Masters) at LeMoyne. With so many years under his belt up there, I'm more an annoyance than a help. He's independent and got this on his own, but still, I like to keep my eye on things.

I used to say that my favorite days of the year were coming and going from Kentucky. Now I am doing the same in Connecticut (which is a must faster drive). Driving is meditative and reflexive. I'm looking forward to the music, books and thinking of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment