Tuesday, August 6, 2019

I Hate This Day. It Happens More and More and It's Never Fun. Transitions Used To Be Easy When I Did the Leaving

I went into the office today and spent 7 hours picking up and organizing from the summer work. Chitunga and I returned from a mini-break and he left for Stamford to turn in his keys. After, he was going to play golf and then meet with a friend for dinner. When I left work, I came home to vacuum my car, run, then head to Big Y to get staple items for Chitunga for when he leaves - tomorrow. He's already heading back to Syracuse to start his 5th year Masters.

With groceries purchased, I took Glamis for a walk, then came home to see Tunga returned, so I vacuumed out his car and, at sunset, went to work on the lawn which was neglected during the hub-bub of the last week. While watering the tomato and blueberry plants, I saw the two areas where Abu and I spent much of our summer playing Corn Hole. It needs seeding and watering - the dry spots are obvious. Chitunga started laundry and I came in to investigate the kitchen and pack bags for Chitunga. The last pot of brown rice made by Abu is still in the rice pot, and the refrigerator is home to the last containers of Crandall special, Abu's last cucumber, Chitunga's leftovers and too many liquids to name.

Zip. Zap. Zoom. The transitions come fast.

Abu already left and Chitunga follows suit today. First things first, I will take down the bedroom that has been the living room for the summer and figure out a way to make the furniture work. I will go through the laundry baskets to mail whatever was left behind. I will then begin to purge anything that is no longer necessary when it is just Glamis and me.

One second it is this way. Erase. Then it becomes this way. Flash.

I don't know, but I'm feeling extra sad and emotional that the nest will be empty again. I like the busy life and the frantic nature of trying to keep control of the chaos. Now, I get to return to my worry across state borders and hopes that everything is working out for the best.

Sadder is Glamis. She knows and she sulks. She loves the full house with people constantly ready to take her for walks, play games, feed her and snuggle with. Just like that it is gone and Mt. Pleasant becomes her giant dog house. She will return to the bay window tonight looking out for everyone, hoping they will return soon.

Meanwhile, I'm still trying to wrap my head around an incredible summer (210 hours of instruction in 6 weeks with 20 teachers, 188 kids, and 20 hires for the work). It' time to look through the data and publish POW! But today, I shall mourn the departure. I hate this and I hate it more this year than ever before. 

No comments:

Post a Comment