Monday, August 19, 2019

Roughed It a Couple of Days in the Adirondack. Of Course, It Could Have Been Rougher. It Was Beautiful.

For the last year, Chitunga has had access to a river home in the Adirondack, Croghan, NY. He's been spending most weekends in this retreat and has been trying to get me to visit for some time. I finally found it while visiting my parents.

Throwback. Flashback.

Lebanon. St. Lawrence. Kentucky. I have lived a camp-love life, and I enjoyed every second of being on Beaver River. There was no Internet and the electricity was spotty (when the generator didn't didn't kick in), but that was okay. There was the outdoors.

We were on a dirt road 30 minutes from civilization. I loved it for the weekend and the view was magnificent. It was also fantastic to have bonding time with the kid. We canoed, went to dinner, chatted (but man I wish we had fishing poles).

I can say, though, that my days for nature aren't what they used to be. I used to live for being outdoors and in the green. This time, I was a little perturbed by horse flies and also wondered where all the wild life (or wildlings, as Chitunga calls them) were. There were plenty of butterfly, but I wanted deer, fox, moose and bear. We didn't even see a fish jump in the water and the highlight was Canadian Geese and and one Kingfisher. My allergies are also ridiculous and I have to admit - technology is a part of my being...breaking away was more difficult than I imagined.
'

The other intrigue that presented itself to me is that Chitunga is LOVING the serenity of this life and spending a lot o this weekends here and on his own. I told him, "Dude, don't break a bone. I don't think there's a hospital for 30 miles." Actually, there weren't even restaurants (although the one we found in Stillwater with the galaxy of hummingbirds (it's claim to fame) was absolutely stunning. The food was great, too.

The dirt roads? Hmmm. The on again, off again of electricity. Okay. The inability to access the Internet 24/7 (insert biting nails emojis here). It's official. I have been transformed into a modern man and my long-haired hippy days are a thing of the past.

It was good for 2 days, but I don't think I could last much longer. I admired (was stunned, in awe of, and appreciated) Chitunga for his connection to the place. I felt it. I get it. I desire it and I miss it. But phew...has my life gone far from what it once was.

This time, leaving family and CNY, added the extra bonus of leaving the beauty of upstate in New York. It was a great trip home.

Next time, I will have a fishing pole and license, however. I like to sit still, but I also like to be doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment