Friday, August 2, 2019

The Summer Tradition That Brings a Close To the Work - Thankful to Knapp's Landing (Year 5 - He Skipped A Year)

He flew solo this summer on Mt. Pleasant, but he was here as my right hand man once again: teaching, team building, networking with teachers, organizing, assisting, kicking my ass in corn hole, eating my food, saving my a## when my car went in for two weeks, helping me to laugh, calming me down when I'm stressed, walking the dog, and making sure Family Feud, Big Bang Theory, The Shooter or Big Brother was on so I could listen from the other room while I was working, planning, and keeping CWP-Fairfield activities apart.

Last night, Bev, Leo, Pam and I took him out for dinner at Knapp's Landing to send him off after another round of summer work (well, they just enjoy his company...I get him 24/7 cuz of the work we do). He got his lobster roll, Bev got scallops and the rest of us got fish. It was a beautiful evening and delicious.

We came home and he welcomed Glamis to sit with him on the couch one last time. On Monday, he returns to work with Syracuse Public Schools and regains a life away from dog hair, my stress, mood swings, Big Y Peanut Butter cookies, coconut water and Crandall special.

He also has to deflate his ego some, because there won't be as much corn hole. It's sick how accurate he throws (and frustrating).

Today, however, ends the 6 weeks of CWP-summer programs, the 210+ hour programs, the 100s of students and the excellence of teachers. I love the work we've been able to build at Fairfield University through grants, a smart plan, dedication and writing excellence. We are all exhausted and need to think strategically about what comes next in southern Connecticut, but each year we have a bigger idea.

Wishing for a great day and Abu's safe travels. Now, it's time to wrap a bow on summer '19.


No comments:

Post a Comment