Thursday, April 4, 2019

When All Is Said and Done, I Go To Bed Knowing That My Choices Are Pro-Youth. They Matter Most.

My day began at 6 a.m. and ended at 10 p.m.. For those of you worried about Glamis, I did find time at 4 p.m. to come home to let her out and throw a ball around for a while. My undergraduate students and I entertained a team of 6th grade students from Columbus School, where we explored educational philosophies, read Jacqueline Woodson, discussed the importance of everything 'familiar' and what a 'creed' is, then set out to design schools that would make 100% of us happy. The bonus of having 24 undergraduates to match 24 6th grade students is that everyone gets a partner in crime. I was in absolute awed with how intelligent the young people were, and commanding with what they wanted my undergraduates to know. They came to teach them exactly what they need as students.

I have to say, that today's crew of middle school students was one of my favorites and I have to give credit to Ms. Portela, who commands expertise with her 20 years of service in Bridgeport Public Schools. Her kids always come intelligent, prepared and ready for the academic day. We read 9th grade material and I challenged the 6th graders to think critically about high school. I overheard a crew of boys at lunch discussing that they need to start reading more and holding one another accountable. Why? That's what they heard it takes to be successful in college. I'm not sure it will last, but I heard a group of boys holding one accountable over lunch that they would read more so they could one day make it to Fairfield University. I loved every second of it.

In the evening, we welcomed 63 awardees from the 1,200 poets who submitted work, K-8, to the English Department's Annual Poetry For Peace contest. This is one of the greatest nights of the year, because the kids come dressed to the nth degree and their families know they've achieved something miraculous. We allow each and every kid to take command of the Mics for the night and their works is inspirational, miraculous, and wonderful.

I drive home each year thinking, "Why don't we let kids run our nation? They are so spot on, astute, and ready to make the changes our nation needs."

Alas, the youth-work does come with exhaustion, and I am very ready for a good night's sleep and a follow-up Thursday of paperwork, organization, and clean-up. I am, however, walking with more pep in my step and love in my heart, because of the K-8 youth I worked with yesterday. I'm a high school guy, but these kids made a tremendous impact on me. I'm a better soul because of them.


No comments:

Post a Comment