Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Tapping My Ecological Days with 6th Graders Today @FairfieldU - Service Learning in ED 329: Philosophy of Education

My Philosophy of Education undergraduates and I are thrilled to host Columbus 6th Graders for another round of service-learning at Fairfield University. Today, we bring Mr. Caplan's young scientists to campus after they learned about ecosystems are begin to move into a unit about water. I'm taking my Louisville Writing Project days as an intern to do a few Project Wet activities where we will build a collaborative watershed and community, but also play the adapative potato game (which was Project Wild, I believe).

The skinny? We're going to think about the way every creature plays a role in a much larger picture.

Speaking of Project Wild and larger pictures, yesterday I brought Glamis the Wonderdog to the vet for her annual check up. It is not an ecosystem she enjoys and all I can think about are the horrible whines she makes while at Companion Hospital. We are discussing fight or flight with the middle school kids, and Glamis demonstrates all of that when she visits our friends, Dr. Preli and Dr. Preli. I'm so embarrassed by her actions.

Still, it was a happy occasion. Why? Dr. Rona Preli, Marriage and Family Therapy (her husband and daughter are Glamis's vets) and Dr. Paula Gill-Lopez, School Psychology, were both at the practice with their pooches, making for a GSEAP blitz in Milford, CT. They've been wonderful mentors to me since coming to campus and I loved the coincidence that we were all there on the same morning. I had to do a selfie in the parking lot.

Okay, Wednesday, I'm inhaling. We have a lot to do today, as the middle school workshop culminates with a professional development workshop in the afternoon with teachers.

We got this!

No comments:

Post a Comment