Thursday, April 18, 2019

Fast Easter Transitions. Started the Day with a 2.5 Hour Turbo Course, and Ended My Day in Syracuse

Started the day with a bit of an Easter-egg hunt in Donnarumma Ding Dong. I didn't hide them in difficulty locations; in fact, I let the whole hunt take place in less than a minute, because I didn't want to bother my colleagues in their offices.

Looking at the calendar, I realized that a week from yesterday was the last scheduled class for the semester, so I had to cover a lot of material quickly so everyone will be set for their final. project.

Listening to my students process this week's reading and reflect on the entire semester made me proud. I love seeing a group of kids come alive with one another at the end of the semester, and finding themselves in a location where they only need one another, and I simply can head to my car and go for a stroll, and they are still on task and learning with and from each other. That's the teaching goal.

As soon as class ended, I headed home to pack up the car and did a 5 mile run (which as stupid, because post-run I sat cramped in a car for 4.5 and when I got out, I was really, really stiff).

On a good note (actually, great, super, fabulous, wow, so happy to be alive note), I downloaded Matt de la Peña's Superman: Dawnbreaker and listened to the first half on the way to my parents. My mind is blown with thinking and I am in  absolute awe from the writer the Matt de la Peña. Superman is an American icon and I love imagining what Superman would do in today's political environment, especially in Smallville, Kansas - the heartlands of the U.S.A.

Superman, too, is an outsider - an alien. And that is why this narrative is rather spectacular...

...more to come when I finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment