Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Monday Minute-Man To The Rescue. So Thankful to My Colleague's Cheat Sheet

Last year I was voted onto Academic Council and, as luck would have it, yesterday was my turn to take minutes. A little perspective here is needed - it is a meeting of Deans, the Provost, and representatives from each of the University's colleges. A lot is said quickly, especially as proposals come through, arguments are made and discussions are held. I asked my colleague, Dr. Evelyn Bilias Lolis how she did it last semester and she said, "I made a cheat sheet." She sent it to me yesterday afternoon.

And I used it. I can't believe she downloaded faces of all who serve and listed their names. I am thankful, however, as it was very useful in keeping up.

Actually, the process makes me more interested in how policies are made at a National Level with so many arguing in so many directions. Who types it all and keeps up? It is a task, indeed.

I've always loved taking notes as it keeps me focused and allows me pay close attention. It's one thing, however, to make notes when you are 100% sure who everyone is, but another when you're not, and there are many with a lot to say. Taking the notes was one thing, but later on when I made sense of them with all the submitted documents, it became another ball game. I did my part and quickly became fascinated by University policies, structures, and the importance of Robert's Rules. There are many who are brilliant at the protocols and moving the dialogue forward.

Alas, it was on a Monday, followed by morning school visits, afternoon meetings, and evening courses to teach. I came home to edit cross-eyed and dizzy.

It's all good, though, because I have to take Glamis to the vet this morning, so I can recover from her shrieks of horror and Silence of the Lambs screams. The terror will make me forget the note-taking. I mean, she needs her nails clipped and a couple of small tumors checked. But she's outrageous as soon as we are in the parking lot.

I can hardly wait (sarcasm).

No comments:

Post a Comment