Tuesday, February 26, 2019

When You Get the Blue Jean and Cool Sneakers Memo, the First Day of the Week is THAT Much Better

Dr. Hulse, Counselor Education, and soon-to-be retiree (sad about this), came by my office today in a pair of silver, sparkled converse, blue jeans, and a really cool prism-patterned sweater. Upon seeing her, I said, "Diana! I need a photo! I got new sneakers and socks and I want to capture this for history."

History made.

Typically I dress in a tie on teaching days (with a sport coat), but on weekends like I just had, where I am working from sunrise to sundown on University projects, I have a hard time dressing up to teach. That was my Monday - yesterday. I was too tired to dress professionally and wanted to roll into my class in casual wear. Besides, the winds were blowing, the temperatures plummeting, and I was sort of in hibernation/survival mode to begin my week.

The day went by great and my graduate students really WOWed me with their participation in the activities/conversation/insight/and action that came from the lessons. I was somewhat overwhelmed by the class and left feeling really good about what is possible with their own research.

Still, it was the sneaker-game that stole the day. This time next year, Dr. Diana Hulse will be several months retired (deserved, magical and inspirational). I will definitely miss her spunk, funk, work-ethic and whimsical silliness in our hallway. I can always be sure that a glimpse of my colleague will put a smile on my face. She's mentored me from afar and in the last year really been a supporter of my work in tremendous ways.

It's hard for a dude to have much style, but the sneaker game, socks, and ties are one way to bring out-of-the-box vibes to the profession.

I'm exhausted this morning, but very thankful I captured this moment in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment