Monday, February 11, 2019

Abu, too. Ubuntu. Abu-bama, UBA, Abu. Ability. Abu Bility. @AbuBility 11 Years (That's Over a Decade)

#NCTEAR19 was a tremendous success and I'm so thrilled that I had 3 days to spend with the strength of Drs. Tonya Perry and Shanetia Nelson of the University of Alabama at Birmingham. UAB.

Better yet? I got a long weekend with ABU, who has grown from an advanced ESL student, to a college graduate, to a youth leader for CWP-Fairfield, and into a mentor at Syracuse Academy of Science. He also represented BIG TIME to present UNLOAD: Pens in the Hands of Writers, a Literacy and Art Collaboration as part part of the conference festivities with Allison Fallon and me. Sadly, Dr. Beth Boquet got the crud and couldn't make it.

I have to say, the most alarming part of the trip was Abu's admittance, "I am ready for bed," at 9 p.m. each night - someone is definitely on a K-12 school clock.

Throughout the conference, however, he was on point, spot on, full of inquiry, and budding with what is possible to lead the young people he works with at the school where he sees opportunities for literacy growth. Yesterday morning, I caught him taking notes on his phone from Dr. Marcelle Haddix's keynote and my soul smiled. It's work he wants to share with the kids he works with.

I am also thankful that we know each other enough to fill in (step up) when we need to. In rehearsal, I knew that I would likely get emotional during our presentation when we discussed the writing and presentation of three Lakota youth and their stories they wanted to tell. During the summer, their presentation became very emotional and it was the kids - from all over Connecticut - who came to the side and helped the reading to continue. It was remarkable and as a site Director, I cannot tell the story without losing my voice and tear ducts. Abu, however, stepped up and filled in what I needed to say when I couldn't. It was a moment the two of us have talked about since last summer (one we recognized from our own conversations about relocation, poverty, struggle, education, family and making it in American society).

I tried to get Lossine to hitch a ride in Abu's duffle bag, but he couldn't get off. Instead, I got to experience the family of NCTEAR with the family of Syracuse in a very special weekend in my life - one that made all of us contemplative, quiet, and knowing there's much more to be done.

Mimi Sue said, "Abu looks like he's gotten really skinny." I said, "Nah, he's always been skinny. He's got good Liberian genes."

Here's to this young man, where he is in life, what he stands for, and all that is set before him. I will miss him back in the Connecticut life, but I miss all the life that has frequented my life the last ten years. We're all in this together, and I am thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment