Monday, February 4, 2019

Guiding Their Interests and Fascinated to Be on the Other Side of Educational Research...Pushing Them Forward

When I finished my bachelor's degree in English Literature, I fashioned myself as a researcher. Then, with an MAT, I saw myself as an action sort of guy, putting knowledge into game-play. The M.S. from the Kentucky Institute of Education and Sustainable Development put me back into research land again.

Then I taught for over a decade and guided high school senior projects and their research. We were all active brains who reviewed literature, created a plan to move forward, and took our knowledge to give back to the world in positive ways. I made them write ten-page papers and they hated me for it; but they got through it.

Then the doctorate happened. Yes, and it happened like a plow pushing CNY snow, except for the fact that it pushed even when it was summer. It taught me to fight back like a ram, though, and keeping my horns down, I kept pushing forward as much as I could. Towards the end when I wanted to throw in the towel I teased Kelly Chandler-Olcott, "All my degrees are art degrees. When I finish a doctorate, it will be a philosopher's degree. Except for the M.S. at Louisville, I've not been trained as a scientist. This research stuff is too much. I'm not a researcher."

Ah, I made it through, though. Now, teaching undergraduates and graduate students I laugh when they complain about research requirements and projects. I have to remember that it is all developmental and for many it is completely scary. Had I not experienced a full-blown research project through my apprenticeships and dissertation in the doctorate program, I would never have known how difficult the work really is. Research needs to be strategic, thorough, well-thought out, and carried forward over several years (as I learned again this weekend reading KCO's soon to be released book of data collected over a period of 4 years). Then there's writing about the work!

At the helm of a class of beginning and in-practice teachers (and a couple of more seasoned-ready-to-go ones), I'm face-to-face with a challenge and then some. A couple have worked with me before and they can move through the heaviness of an action research project readily. Still, there are others who are scared to death and haven't a clue where to begin.

I'm realizing early in the semester that the best way to teach the course is to model, to workshop, to give time and space, and to mentor. In a lot of ways, I see the work as a portfolio workshop, where everyone is working towards an individual project, but my instruction  assists them all.

I stole an idea from Kelly, too, when she had our Writing for Publication class do a journal review by highlighting what it does (and for whom) in brochure form. It was a clever way to take what could be overwhelming and making it practical and accessible. We're going to look into the journals that may be most helpful to the levels and content they will teach. That's the first step to being introduced to all that is out there.

I think if I had a research course in either of my Masters that was geared towards Ph.D level work, I would run. I wasn't ready for it, so I need to think back to my fledgling years and create from there. It's a challenge, but I know I'm going to love the results that come from the course.

Today will be about being strategic with a topic of interest for the semester. That can be the most taxing part for some.

No comments:

Post a Comment