Thursday, February 28, 2019

Inhaling Possibilities. Exhaling Deadlines. Okay, Thursday, Be Kind To Me. I See You.

I'm ignoring with 100% of my being the 40 projects from two classes needing to be assessed over the weekend. Instead, I'm targeting the writing projects that have a deadline by Friday and I'm setting out this morning with a clear mind and optimism. I can do what I can, the way I can do it.

Yesterday, I received a decisions from a journal in which I'm a reviewer, that gives me hope. The feedback from me and several others  was considered by editors and offered back to writers as constructive feedback. That gave me hope in the process.

As for my personal writing, however, I know I have two major deadlines that I am a little more secure about what my intentions will be. At 7 p.m. tonight I have to be on a panel for an incredible writer who I love and that presentation is a top priority: so are my personal wiring projects and the fact that I have promised my thinking to both of them.

Phew. Breathing.

I am optimistic and hopeful for the scholarship in action work I have on the radar, outlining the ways that I've taken my research and moved it to tangible, "I can see it" fruition in the local communities I serve. Still, I see the deadlines for dates a year from now, and I am trying to get my head around them, too.

So, let me talk about undergraduate students. Yesterday, 26 educational autobiographies arrived (that need to be graded) and I can't wait to read and guide them. They will have to wait until the weekend. Now, at the immediate, I need to think about the personal projects that I need to get out not only to close particular projects, but to open up a whole new level of new ones.

This is the life (and the decision-making) of the work of an academic. I look forward to Saturday and Sunday when the deadlines are over and I can concentrate on my students - the right now.

Welcome Thursday. Welcome the ending of a week. I look forward to Friday when I have to say, "Well, I met the deadline. Time to move on to what is coming next."

The garbage is out. The actual trash, that is. That is an accomplishment (when I remember). 

No comments:

Post a Comment